Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What's Up With... Wednesdays: What's Up With BRAVO?

Here at SOTSB we're introducing a new weekly segment called "What's Up With... Wednesdays" where blogmate Alison and I will use the day's blog to ask the all too important question "what's up with..[insert ridiculous person/place/thing here]?" For example, WUWW could be "what's up with Nick Cage?", "what's up with baseball?", " or "what's up with blowjobs?". Get it? Not that hard.

However, since I've been feeling like butt the past few days and quite possibly have come down with a raging case of Swine Flu the day before I was supposed to take a much needed VayKay/get out of Philly/Get over the Turtle trip to D.C. to see college roomie Stevo, this week's segment might be a bit shorter than usual. BUT, don't worry, once I'm feeling better and chipper as usual, y'all will get your full daily dose of WUWW.

So, for this week's WUWW I bring you, "What's up with BRAVO?"

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Top Chef and Real Housewives and Kathy Griffin and Million Dollar Listing, but the other day while checking the schedule for Bravo I came across their About Us page and was ASTOUNDED to read this:

With more breakout stars and critically acclaimed original series than any other network on cable, Bravo's original programming — from hot cuisine to haute couture — delivers the best in food, fashion, beauty, design and pop culture to the most engaged, upscale and educated audience in cable.

Really, Bravo? "the most engaged, upscale and educated audience in cable"? I mean, maybe viewership statistics support this, but is that really something I'd want to know? I mean the most educated audience on television is watching the trash that is the Real Housewives of Atlanta? or the douchiness that is Million Dollar Listing? Is that really what the most ENGAGED and UPSCALE audience in television is watching? And if it is, what does that say about us?

I mean I LOVE all those shows, but is Obama watching these? Is Andersen Cooper? Are the most engaged, upscale, and educated people in this country really tuning into Bravo? I hope not. Or maybe I do. Kathy Griffin is pretty fuckin' hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment